The attorneys at CGA Law Firm are not only actively involved in a number of non-profits throughout York County, but also provide legal counsel to many of these organizations including charities, condominium associations and private clubs each with their own unique legal issues. We have assisted our non-profit clients through the process of forming an entity, structuring a board of directors, drafting bylaws and obtaining tax-exempt status.
We also provide counsel to these organizations to ensure they meet and maintain state requirements and complex IRS regulations as a tax-exempt organization, including annual reporting along with corporate and tax filings. As counsel, we can also assist our non-profit clients with governance, conflicts of interest, fiduciary duties, liability, risk management and insurance issues.
These organizations are required to comply with state and Federal employment laws. Our labor & employment law group advises our non-profit clients on all aspects of employment laws and workers compensation.
- Entity Formation
- Mergers and Affiliations
- Draft and Review Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation
- Applying for and Obtaining Tax-Exempt Status
- Governance and Compliance
- Real Estate and Sales Tax Exemption
- Employment Law
- Workers Compensation
- Counsel non-profit organization in mergers, including the drafting of memorandums of understanding, due diligence, petitioning the court for approval and filing merger documentation with the Department of State.
- Counsel to non-profit in the acquisition and redevelopment of blighted properties in a southeast York neighborhood, including assistance with contract negotiation and environmental, real estate, land use and construction.
- Counsel to non-profit organization providing low-income housing, including representation of complex reorganization, entity formations and tax-exempt status.
- Successfully defended local non-profits with regard to state and federal discrimination claims.
- Successfully resolved complex and sensitive UC tax compliance issues for a non-profit.
- Provide risk management consultation and advice to help prevent litigation, as well as full service defense for clients.