We miss our beloved founder, colleague, and friend.
Gary Michael Gilbert, 83, passed away on Thursday, January 6, 2022. He practiced law for 60 years and was one of the three attorneys who founded CGA Law Firm. Business, Corporate, and Real Estate Law were the primary focus areas of his legal practice and he was the trusted advisor of many clients for decades.
Gary was well-respected and well-liked by his legal peers, clients, and the community. He served many civic and charitable causes, inspiring others to do the same. Gary sincerely cared about people and was skilled in helping to avoid costly conflicts. Despite his numerous successes and accomplishments, he was always well-grounded and team-oriented. When life presented Gary with challenges, he persevered positively and valiantly through every setback. Through the years, those around him were continually inspired by his cheerful outlook, wise counsel, and devotion to family and friends.
Our hearts are heavy at CGA, but we celebrate a life that was lived fully and with enthusiasm. Our thoughts and prayers are with the extended Gilbert family.
Read Gary’s obituary here: https://www.ydr.com/obituaries/mpa080796
Learn more about Gary’s life here: https://www.cgalaw.com/recognizing-cga-founding-partner-gary-m-gilbert/
Gary Gilbert – (Of Counsel) was a founding partner of CGA Law Firm℠. In 1967 he began practicing with Laucks & Monroe, which eventually became CGA Law Firm. Based on his education and personal experiences, Gary was skilled in dealing with business matters. Through his participation in a number of boards, he developed a keen understanding of how business owners think and how to meet their needs. For more than 40 years he honed these skills to serve his clients. Gary believed his success hinged on his ability to become a trusted advisor.
Gary was particularly experienced in business sales and transfers and succession planning. Many of his clients were family-owned and closely-held businesses. Gary worked with them to ensure optimum terms for the transfer of business interests to the next generation, including consideration of family dynamics to minimize conflicts. He had considerable knowledge regarding ongoing business counseling and in the transfer of business interests. Gary was able to counsel his clients on matters pertaining to the purchase and sale of assets, business valuation, transfer of stocks, buy-sell agreements and contractual matters.
Additionally, Gary drew on the expertise of other attorneys and resources within CGA Law Firm to ensure his clients received the advice they needed on matters such as tax planning, estate planning and administration, family law and bankruptcy. He was experienced in tailoring partnership and operating agreements within IRS guidelines to facilitate tax-advantaged transfers of business interests.
- Represented non-publicly held business interests for more than 30 years and successfully negotiating many mergers, acquisitions and generational transfers of business ownership
- Participated in numerous leveraged buyout transactions that made it possible to keep viable businesses in the York area, which helped to sustain local employment opportunities
- Assisted in the purchase, sale or ownership transfer of major local businesses, including clients in the following industries: automotive, heavy machinery, trucking, dairy and food products, steel fabrication, mining, construction, manufacturing, apparel, sporting equipment, real estate, insurance
- Represented developers of residential, commercial and industrial projects, and real estate brokerage firms
- York Building Products
- Apple Motor Group
- Sunrise Holdings
- Stewart and Tate
- Heidler Roofing
- Strine Printing
- Manchester Industries
Gary served as an officer in the Pennsylvania National Guard and as assistant district attorney for York County. He was a past president of the Pennsylvania Bar Association and former chairman of the Stewart Companies’ Board of Directors. He was also a founding member of the York Chapter of the National Kidney Foundation and the Byrnes Health Education Center. He also served on the Business Counsel Board for the Valparaiso University Business School. Prior to his passing, Gary served on the Board of Directors of the Esophageal Cancer Action Network (ECAN).
- Former Assistant District Attorney – York County
- Pennsylvania National Guard
- National Kidney Foundation – York Chapter Legal Counsel and founding member
- Susan P.
BrynesHealth Education Center – Former Board of Directors
- Valparaiso University National Business Council – Board of Directors
- Esophageal Cancer Awareness Network (
ECAN) – Board of Directors
- Pennsylvania Bar Association – House of Delegates
- York County Bar Association, former President
- Former York County Assistant District Attorney
- Pennsylvania National Guard
- Esophageal Cancer Action Network, Board of Directors
- National Kidney Foundation, York Chapter, Legal Counsel
- Susan P.
BrynesHealth Education Center, Board of Directors
- Valparaiso University National Business Council, Board of Directors
- William Penn High School
- J.D., Valparaiso University School of Law – 1962
- B.A., Economics, and Finance – Valparaiso University – 1960