Thomas D. O’Shea is a shareholder and chair of the Family Law group with CGA Law Firm. He has been specializing in family law matters for more than 30 years. Tom enjoys working closely with others and finds satisfaction in handling complex matters. His practice developed naturally out of these two interests. He says, “It doesn’t get any closer or more complex. Family law is intense.”
Tom believes many traditional family law attorneys allow an emotionally debilitating and difficult situation to escalate into highly contentious litigation, which results in long-term emotional stress and substantial financial loss. His philosophy is to resolve the divorce and family conflict sensibly and efficiently, while minimizing stress and the financial burden for all parties. Resolution is rarely simple, and litigation cannot always be avoided. Tom has litigated hundreds of cases during his career. More importantly, he has resolved thousands of other cases, sparing his clients the expense and uncertainty of trial.
In addition, Tom draws from the expertise of other CGA attorneys to develop a strong practice that focuses on businesses and business owners. Divorce and conflict resolution become far more complicated legal issues when businesses and other assets are involved. Tom is draws on the experience of his colleagues in the business, bankruptcy, tax and estate planning groups to protect his clients’ interests. He formulates plans for equitable division of businesses and professional practices, counsels clients regarding difficult financial situations during divorce proceedings and locates undisclosed assets and concealed income. Tom is also a certified divorce mediator.
Tom handles a multitude of family and domestic matters for business owners outside of dissolution.
He has considerable experience in:
- Adoption, including both agency and private adoption matters
- Custodial agreements, support and visitation matters
- Name changes
- Paternity matters
- Premarital agreements
- Spousal maintenance and support
- Wills and estate planning
Sensitivity and excellent communication skills are key elements needed to successfully navigate emotionally-charged family law matters. Because Tom exemplifies these attributes, he is able to provide his clients with a unique experience.
Tom has served as president of the York County Bar Association and he is a former chairman of the Family Law Section of the York County Bar Association. In 2010, he served as president of the Board of Directors of the York County Bar Foundation, the charitable arm of the York County Bar Association. He has also been recognized for his commitment to provide pro bono legal services locally.
Tom is a gifted writer, director, producer and actor. Every two years, he writes and produces The Bar Stools, a local comedic production with a cast of attorneys that spoof politics and the legal profession. He is also a past Grand Marshal of the York St. Patrick’s Day Parade and serves on the Parade Committee. Tom is active in numerous civic and charitable organizations that benefit youth, including The Appell Center for the Performing Arts, The Belmont Theatre, and MidPenn Legal Services.
Direct Phone Number
- Appell Center for the Performing Arts, Board of Directors
- The Belmont Theatre, former President of the Board of Governors
- Host and Moderator of “Legal Lines,” a local cable TV program regarding legal issues
- Master and Counselor of Herbert B. Cohen Inn of Court
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade (York, PA)
- Parade Committee member
- Former Grand Marshal
- York County Children and Youth Services, former Advisory Board of Directors
- MidPenn Legal Services, former President of the Board of Directors (2017-2020)
- Penn State University, Legal Documentation
andPresentation, former instructor
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- House of Delegates, former member
- York County Bar Association
- York County Bar Foundation
- former President of the Board of Directors
- J.D., University of Pittsburgh, 1981
- B.A., University of Pittsburgh, 1978
Awards and Honors
- 2023 MidPenn Donald F. Smith, Jr., Pro Bono Award
- 2023 Distinguished rating from Martindale Hubbell, which ”indicates the attorney is widely respected by their peers for high professional achievement and ethical standards”